Wednesday, 5 August 2015


This post was brought to you by Lame Pun Titles & Co.

When I was deciding what to do with this blue embroidered fabric, I was facing a conondrum. I had the idea of making it into a dress stuck in my brain. But no matter which pattern I pulled out from my stash, nothing really felt right for the fabric. Until I pulled out the Belcarra blouse pattern by Sewaholic Patterns. And then it clicked. I could make two blouses from it. So I cut out the Belcarra and Sorbetto on the same day and sewed away.

For my version I cut out the View C in size 10 in the bust and 8 in the waist and hips. I made no further alterations to the pattern other than the grading between sizes from bust to waist and mostly followed the instructions. I serged all the seam allowances even though I did consider french seaming it but felt too darn lazy at the time. Especially as this does qualify as a wearable muslin.

To finish the sleeves, neckline and hem I used a bias tape. As I was trying to squeeze out two blouses from limited yardage, I couldn't follow the instructions to finish the sleeves with given pattern pieces. Luckily I found the perfect tone of bias tape from the local fabric shop. Finding the correct colour of cotton bias tape is quite challenging in a small town like the one I live in but my beloved shop came through.

Finishing the hemline with bias tape was completely a last minute decision as I originally planned to roll hem it. But as I bought a little bit too much of the tape(aka overkill), it became a no-brainer to me to go the extra mile with the hemming. 

Overall I like the shape and fit of this blouse. The fabric itself is nice and airy and when combined with loose fit, it's the perfect blouse for a hot summer day. Just like the one today. +25C and I feel like I'm not wearing anything. Fun fact. I am wearing the exact same outfit right now(minus the shoes) Black Tap Shorts + Belskyrra= Match Made in Heaven during hot weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment