Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Laurel The Muslin

Hi peeps, welcome back! Or if you are a first time visitor, I hope you'll come back in the future!

Sometimes a girl needs a simple dress from a simple fabric. Something to throw on during a warm summer/spring day. For a long time I have eyed the Laurel pattern for a while but kept doubting if the shape would flatter my body shape. But I decided to bite the bullet and pulled out the pattern, a piece of some cheap cotton I purchased some time ago for muslining and made a nice little wearable muslin.

I cut out Version 1 in size 10 and made a few fit adjustments. I had to take in the neckline at the shoulder seams by 1,5cm and the armhole at the shoulder by 0,5 cm. I also took in the back  by 2cm at the neckline, 1 cm at the waist and 0cm at the hips. As I shortened the armhole by 1cm in total, I also shaved off a bit from the sleeve head. But I think I didn't shave off enough, might have to do that for my next Laurel dress.

Instead of using the methods to finish the neckline given by the instructions, I finished the neckline with a nice little facing. I finished all other seams with overlocking and roll hemmed the sleeves and the hem of the dress.

Pardon the wrinkles, I wore the dress to a little family gathering before taking the pictures.

The dress fastens with an invisible zipper as per instructions. However I might put the zipper into the left side seam next time, we'll see how future me feels about that.

 All in all, I think the dress is awesome. True, the cotton fabric does wrinke a lot, but that's okay. And despite my doubts about the shape looking flattering, I think it looks great with a belt thrown on. Besides, during the summer I'd rather have something slightly too loose than too constricting.


  1. it is made for the dress, your belt! you did an awesome job!!!