Wednesday 20 January 2016

One seam continuous bias tape

Heya. Today I would love to continue on the topic of bias tapes. In my last post I shared my favorite method how to make continuous bias tape and this time I'll show you the second way that I sometimes use. There is an alternative option to this method (see this Craftsy post) however I find it not the best as you'll end up with a lot of seams crossing and it'll add to much unnecessary bulk. But while it is not the right method for me, it doesn't mean it can't be right for you. Sewing is a journey and we all need to find our own path. Anywhoo on to the good stuff. 


First of all you need to gather your resources. You'll need:

  • Fabric
  • Chalk or any other fabric marking tool. I have a mechanical pen with chalk filling. Found it in a craft store with different chalk colours and I am addicted to it. I have four colours: White, gold, pink and grey.
  • Fabric scissors
  • Pins
  • Ruler
  • Rotary cutter
  • Cutting mat

Then you'll want to take your fabric, cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter. Cut your fabric so it has two opposite sides on the grain and two opposite sides on the bias. You'll end up with a trapeze shaped piece of fabric like the one below. The size of the piece is totally up to you, but in order to save fabric, you can measure the width of your desired bias tape multiplied by how much tape you'll need from the first bias cut before you make the second bias cut. Make sure that you measure under 90 degree angle from the bias. If you don't have a rotary cutter, simply mark a line on the bias and cut it with scissors.


Now mark your bias tape width to the fabric as many times as you wish/need. Here is where having a acrylic quilting ruler really comes handy. These lines will serve as cutting lines later.


After you have finished marking your cutting lines, pin the on the grain sides together. Match the already cut side with the first marked line to create a spiral of lines. At first the pinning can look and feel weird but I promise, it'll be okay. Be careful to match the marked lines on the seam line for accurate cutting later.


Now take your little tube to your sewing machine and sew it together. Use a small stitch length and seam allowance. I go for 1,5mm stitch length and 0,5cm seam allowance. Don't backstitch anything as it'll create unnecessary bulk in the seam. Be careful not to sew over the pins!


After you have sewed the tube together, check that the marked cutting lines match and then press the seam allowance open. I like to press the seam allowance first as I sewed it and then open as it allegedly should blend the seam into the fabric better.


Once the seam is all pressed, start cutting the tube into bias tape. Start from one edge and follow the marked lines as you cut.


Look at all the beautiful bias tape you've made! You can now press it in any form you prefer. Single fold, double fold, half, leave it as it is, the choice is all yours.

Now you have seen two of my favorite methods how to make bias tape. This one might work better for some, but I still prefer cutting each of the strips individually with a rotary cutter and then sewing them together. The cut is cleaner that way. But that doesn't mean that is the right way for everyone.

I hope you have enjoyed this post. Next time I'll show you how to bind beautifully mitered corners. 

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment