Fabric: Cotton and polyester lace and satin for the lining
Time spent: 3 hours
Originally we planned to use invisible zipper as she didn't want the zipper to be visible but after I sewed the zipper in, I realized that it wasn't going to work. The lace is quite stiff and thick and it got all stuck in the zipper. So it would have been very difficult to get the zipper open and closed and in the end it would have just broken either the zipper or the lace or both. So I used a regular skirt zipper instead. And in the end it's barely visible. But unpicking invisible zipper for this thing...not fun.
To finish the waistline I used a facing and I stitched it down to the lining so it wouldn't start to peek while wearing.
I really struggled to get this thing out of the fabric because Mrs.LS brought me very little fabric. An by very little I mean 0,5m. The skirt is 65cm long. Little math told me that it's not enough fabric. But stubbornness won and I ended up cutting the whole skirt flipped 90degrees. So now the lenghtwise grain is actually crosswise grain and vice versa. Oopsies. But the fabric has very little stretch and if th whole thing is cut in the same direction, I think it won't be too much of a problem. I hope.
For hemming I kept the lace edge as it was(because it was the selvage of the lace). And for the lining I roll hemmed the bottom. All the seam allowances are serged.
All in all, I think unpicking that zipper was worth it in the long run and I am pleased with the end result. What can I say, I'm a sucker for lace.
Sidenote: I seriously need to pick up the slack and try to blog about all the projects I have finished(and even photographed some of them). So don't be surprised if during the next few weeks I post more stuff more frequently.